The Coeur d'Alene Arts Commission has been charged by the Coeur d'Alene City Council to "stimulate and encourage, throughout the city and surrounding area, the study and presentation of the performing and fine arts and public interest and participation."
The citizens of Coeur d'Alene are committed to build an exceptional collection of public art - art that defines the community and distinguishes it from others, complementing Coeur d'Alene's many attributes, and serving for posterity.
- Improve the Cultural Environment of the City of Coeur d'Alene
- Enhance the Growth of Industry and Commerce
- Partner with Various Artistic Organizations to Ensure the Role of Arts in the Community
Areas of Responsibility
- Oversees Public Arts Program
- Develops Policies and Goals for Selection, Placement and Maintenance of Works of Art
- Integration of Wide Range of Public Art into the Community to Reflect Diversity of Communities, Artistic Disciplines, and Points of View
- Oversees Memorials for Public Parks and Donations of Artwork to the Public Collection
- Community Design- Integrate public art into the design of buildings, parks, streetscape and public spaces - making art a natural, normal enhancement of community design.
- Prominent Scale- Select artworks of sufficient scale to capture public attention. Make an impression.
- Diverse and Durable- Build a diverse public art collection that incorporates various art media styles and themes; including permanent works and temporary exhibitions; and ensure that the collection is well made to withstand climate extremes.
- Accessible- Place public art out in the open, in accessible locations where people can see it and interact.
- City-wide- Over the years, gradually extend public art from the downtown core into all corners of the City.
- Open Public Process- Select art through a juried process that invites citizens to play a role. Extend the selection process to include artists from outside the area to diversify the collection.
- Adequate Support- Ensure that Coeur d'Alene's growing public art program is supported by adequate funding, professional staff, and proper maintenance of the collection by qualified individuals.
- Artistic Excellence- Strive to acquire truly exceptional art - of the highest quality, representing in Coeur d'Alene's collection the finest artists of the region and the world.
- Model - Serve as a model and inspiration for other communities interested in introducing their own public art programs.
- Starting Point- Install the first new artworks at the locations most visible and accessible to citizens and visitors alike - in the downtown, and at city gateways.
- Signature Projects- Seek opportunities for major art commissions in conjunction with upcoming projects.
- Art/Design Community- Engage local artists, architects, and other design professionals and enlist their participation and "ownership" for Coeur d'Alene's public art program.
- Events- Link public art to Coeur d'Alene's most important community events. Schedule temporary exhibitions, announce art selections and unveil new commissions to coincide with Art on the Green and other major events.
- Community Education- Capitalize on public art to provide education opportunities for children, youth, adults, and visitors through interpretive signage, art map, walking tour brochures, media coverage, etc.
- Staffing- Provide professional staff support at an appropriate level to curate and maintain the public art collection.
- Accountability - Publish an annual report to document Coeur d'Alene's public art achievements, including a catalog of the art works newly acquired each year, other public art program achievements, funds expended, and account balances retained.
Arts Ordinance (Percent for Arts)
Add Your Name to our Artist Database!
Mayor's Awards in the Arts
Public Art Policy
Public Art Master Plan
Public Art Collection
Public Art Tour
Other Local Public Art
Links to Area Art Agencies
Call to Artists
Frequently Asked Questions
CITY STAFF SUPPORT TO THE ARTS COMMISSION:
Sherrie Badertscher, Executive Assistant
Phone: (208) 666-5754